A « Royal » construction
Built in 1816 on the site of the old fortress belonging to the Counts of Dreux, Saint-Louis Chapel of Dreux houses the sepultures of the Bourbon-Orléans family. The first building was in neo-classical style and built by the Duchess of Orléans, later to be extended by her son King Louis-Philippe, in neo-Gothic style.
A remarkable collection of recumbent statues
From 1830, Saint-Louis Chapel of Dreux became the necropolis for the House of France. The recumbent statues from the family of King Louis-Philippe, ordered from some of the most well-known names in 19th-century funerary sculpture: Millet, Barre, Lenoir, Pradier and Mercié. It is Pradier and Mercier who carry out the work on the mausoleum for the King and Queen Marie-Amélie. A visit among the tombs is a way to reminisce on the glories and misfortunes of the members of the Bourbon-Orléans family in the turmoil of the 19th century.
Outstanding stained-glass windows
The Sèvres factory is responsible for the magnificent production of painted and enamelled stained-glass windows on this site, inspired by religious or historical compositions such as « the life of Saint-Louis », patron saint of the Royal Chapel. Ingres, Horace Vernet, Hippolyte Flandrin and Larivière have signed some of the most splendid stained-glass works in which appears the well-known «Sèvres blue».